After trawling the high street for hot bargains on Boxing Day and then dancing the night away on New Year’s Eve is nothing but glamorous heels no doubt, I think it’s fair to say that our feet have probably suffered during the festive season! Now is the time to put that extra spring back into our steps with a sole-saving treat for our feet! Kiss goodbye to tired feet, and say hello to strong soles hence the beauty of a foot massage. Take some time out, sit back and enjoy a sublime feeling of satisfaction while the aches and pains from a build-up of callus are massaged away.
Having experienced their foot massage I realized this should be done more often to keep our soles alive and kicking! As they do at your local spa, it helps when moisturizer is massaged into the soles of the feet i.e. Ultra Rich Body Cream, Nail & Hand Cream, or Body Scrub from Dermalogica
To my surprise, there are several unexpected benefits of foot massage that are supported by actual scientific research:
- Lowers blood pressure – There are a number of common factors involved in causing high blood pressure such as stress or an unhealthy diet. However, environmental factors can also play a huge part. A study conducted on healthcare staff working with elderly people suffering from dementia – a highly stressful job – showed that a 10-minute foot massage up to three times a week resulted in less stress and lower blood pressure.
- It’s good for your sex life – Valentine’s Day is vastly approaching! Think, of a candle-lit dinner with soft music playing in the background. Why not begin the evening with a bit of foreplay! Entice your partner with a foot massage. The feet can cause mild arousal which is a great starting point for a magical evening.
- Improves circulation – The muscles in the feet hardly get regular exercise and circulation is limited due to tight-fitting shoes. As much as we ladies love a pair of Christian Louboutins they will not help if uncomfortable! It’s also worth investing in a pair of shoes that allow your feet to breathe as well as look good. As an avid fan of all things fashionable, I have shoes for meetings, and evening events that are on the glamorous side, and shoes for running around in when sourcing clothes for clients which are comfortably flat but still look fabulous.
- Reduces the effect of anxiety – It has been shown that a number of foot massage sessions per week have reduced high levels of stress and anxiety in cancer patients. For others, this will hardly break the bank if two 30-minute reflexology treatments are set aside per week. Think about how much money a person spends on going out and drinking in the evening. It makes sense to make a cutback here and invest more money in our general well-being to reduce feelings of tiredness and stress.
- Helps with headaches – A study took place in Denmark that showed people suffering from headaches and migraines experienced these less after reflexology treatments. Approximately three months after completing their treatments, 65% had reduced symptoms while others had been cured. It’s worth having a foot massage once a week at least to relieve any signs of stress. The benefits are unassuming but very effective in the long run.
- Reduces effects of edema in pregnant women – Edema is caused by swelling due to water retention in the feet and ankles. This condition can be reduced by massaging the feet daily.
- Helps prevent foot injuries – When massaging the feet is combined with ankle strengthening exercises and stretching it can help to prevent future injuries.
There are so many benefits to having a foot massage that you probably didn’t realize. Depending on your budget, my advice would be to take more care of ourselves. Hate to say it but we are not getting any younger so the best thing to do is invest in some ‘me’ time. Even if once a week or bi-weekly, it’s a good investment. The average cost of reflexology treatment starts anywhere from $40-90 for a 1-hour session or $30-50 for a 30-minute session. As a stylist, I am constantly on my feet. Any job that involves constant physical activity will take its toll so one way to combat this is by having regular reflexology treatments. If this also helps to improve your sex life then what a good way to continue to “spread the love”